Sunday, January 9, 2011

Profound Events

Yesterday, in Arizona, a young man took a gun, which I've no doubt he legally possessed, and shot some 18 people at an event held by a local congresswoman.

A 9-year-old girl was among those killed. She was shot in the chest. The neighbor who had taken this little girl, named Christina, to see the congresswoman, was shot 4 times but has so far survived.

The congresswoman's intern held a cloth to her head to control the bleeding.

Darling daughter - it scares me that you or I could have been any number of people in that supermarket parking lot.  The congresswoman. Her staffers.  The intern. A constituent.

That little girl.

That little girl.

Nearly all of your mom's mom circle is similarly somber today.  We will be for awhile.

But today I took you to the local Assembly District Committee elections.  Because I needed to go and I needed to take you.  You met your Assemblyman.

I wish I could tell you that when you get older, these events make more sense but they'll only make less.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly can't think about that little girl without picturing Fidget in her place and then I start to tear-up.

    I think about a year of raising a baby and the hopes and dreams we have for her. Nine years and then to be shot like this. Can't think about it.

    ReplyDelete